Sunday, August 9, 2015

DIY Yoda Inspired Hooded Towel

Hooded Towel Tutorial:



I made a Yoda hooded towel for my son several weeks ago and after posting it on Facebook I have had several requests for a tutorial. I love to sew and was raised by a home economics teacher who taught me how to create my own pattern's from cutting them out of newspaper. A lot of the time I "wing it" so I will do my best to portray the process I used.

This pattern fits a larger child (ages 5 and up). If it's for someone smaller you'll want to make adjustments to the towel sizes.



Thing's Needed:


- 1 tan colored bath size towel
- 1 tan colored hand size towel
- 1 - 2 green colored hand size towel depending on how large you want the ears ( I used 2)
- Sewing machine
- Needle and green or neutral thread to match/blend with green/tan towels







Instructions:

Step 1:
Take the tan hand towel and fold it in half horizontally (sorry the coloring is off in some of these photo's).





Step 2:
Sew both of the shorter sides together. Leave the longer side open.







Step 3:
Turn towel right side out and put the seams together. This will make the towel thicker for drying hair and will eliminate exposed seams.


















Step 4: 
Put both of the "points" of the towel together creating a hood.





























Step 5:
Take the green hand towel and cut it in half vertically. Save the other side for the ears.


Step 6:
Fold the green strip in half and sew it lengthwise. Turn it right side out.

Step 7:
Pin the green strip to the outer edge of the tan hood. Sew the edges together.



Step 8:
Pin the hood to the bath sized towel and sew a straight line.















Step 9:
Cut a piece of newspaper to the size you would like the ears. I made them on the larger side, but you can cut yours the way you like it. Place the pattern on the other half of the green hand towel and cut four "ears" out.





















Step 10:
Sew two of the ear pieces together leaving the base open so that you can turn them right side out. I like to use a pen or pencil to help push the tip of the ear all the way out. Repeat this with the other ear.




Step 11:
Sew a straight line through Yoda's ear to keep the pieces together and to give it some definition. Make sure to leave about an inch from the base of the ear so that you can tuck it under when you attach it to the hood. If you would like the ear's to stick out more you could add stuffing. I was worried they wouldn't dry quickly enough if I did this.














Step 12:
Attach the ear to the hood. I used a needle and thread. Tucking under the raw edges so that they aren't seen.

















Here are my cute models displaying the final product!



 















No comments:

Post a Comment